.post-body img { margin-left: -40px;}

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chicken Fajita Quesadillas




As you all may have noticed from reading our blog, Laryssa is the cook.

 However, despite appearances, I can cook(not that good), and I will cook(occasionally). And when I do it is 99% of the time to make something Mexican. In fact, through the last several months the only cooking/baking I have done is two Mexican based meals, and a batch of oatmeal muffins! So recently my mom suggested that I try making meals for the family more often, with an added comment that I should make something that wasn't foreign for once. :) Nevertheless, my family loves Mexican food, and I usually don't hear any complaints when I say I'm going to make enchiladas again.

 That's what I normally make, enchiladas, but last Saturday I tried something new. A recipe for chicken fajita quesadillas! Okay, so it's not what you would call authentic Mexican by any means, but Tex Mex tastes just as good to me. I found this recipe, Chicken Fajita Quesadillas, on Pinterest and couldn't resist the look of those tasty, cheesy wonders. And following my usual style, I didn't bother with directions too much. I just got the basic idea and used my own spices, and now I'll share it with you.

You will need:

1. Boneless chicken breasts

2. Bell Peppers(variations of colors are nice)

3. Onion

4. Cheese

5. Chili Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder(Cumin also would be good, I just didn't have any at the time)

6. Oil

7. Flour tortillas

First thing you want to do is cut up your chicken and peppers and onions. You don't want your chicken to be thick, so I sliced the chicken breasts in half(see this website here http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_fajitas/). When I did mine, I cut it into strips and then cut those into smaller pieces. But looking back, I think it would have been best if I had cut the chicken more fine or in much smaller pieces.



Next, put some oil in the skillet to fry the chicken. The recipe I was going off of called for fajita seasoning mix, which I didn't have and wouldn't bother buying in the first place. So I looked up fajita seasonings online. I came up with Chili Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Cumin, and a few other things, but I decided to just go with the first three. So add a generous amount of your choice of seasonings(the fun part!).



Yummy!

Then once the chicken is done you can replace it with the peppers and onions. They will pick up some of the seasonings leftover in the skillet from the chicken, but go ahead and add some more anyway. This will bring out the flavor even more! And oh, the heavenly aroma!




Alright then. Once your chicken and vegetables are all finished, it's time to make the quesadillas!
 Place a tortilla in the skillet with oil, then cover it with the chicken, peppers and onions, and cheese.




Then place another tortilla on top and when the bottom tortilla is browned, flip the whole thing over to fry the other side.





 Now you will see in these pictures that I used a whole tortilla. I would suggest that you NOT do it this way. It is a headache you want to avoid. The tortilla was so heavy and I didn't have a spatula big enough to pick up the whole thing. So when I tried to flip it, some of the filling fell out and the tortilla was fragile, and oh what a mess! Here's what I suggest: Cut your tortilla in half before frying, place both halves in the skillet and top the one with the chicken and etc. Then when it's done frying, flip the one onto the other and take off of the skillet. That way, you don't even have to flip the entire quesadilla. I tried it this way and believe me, it works much better. :)




After removing your quesadilla from the skillet, cut it into four triangles(or two if you already cut the tortilla in half to fry), and enjoy!






No comments :

Post a Comment