.post-body img { margin-left: -40px;}

Monday, May 4, 2015

Beef and Rice Enchiladas


 


Like I said before, I LOVE Mexican food. So today I'm sharing an enchilada recipe. My favorite recipe so far has been with chicken(oh it's simply heavenly), but when my mom asked me to make dinner last week, we didn't have any chicken, so I made this beef and rice enchilada recipe instead.

This was the first enchilada recipe I ever made, and I fondly remember making it for the first time with my older brother. Such sweet memories. :) Except when we made it we didn't know any better to cook the rice first. Haha!

Here are the ingredients:

1 pound ground round
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 can(6 oz.) tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 cup cooked white rice
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
12 flour tortillas (about 10 inches) warmed
8 ounces picante sauce or salsa
1 can (about 10 oz.) enchilada sauce.


 

The first step is to cook the beef, along with the peppers, onions, and the minced garlic. As you may have noticed, my meat here isn't beef. It's actually venison, which we've had since last deer season, but it doesn't make a big difference.






While the meat is cooking, you can go ahead and prepare your rice, which is going to be the next thing added to the skillet, along with all of these awesome ingredients.




After the meat is cooked and drained, add the picante sauce or salsa(I used salsa), tomato paste, garlic salt, fennel seed, oregano, thyme, chili powder, water, rice, and 2 cups of cheese(Yeah, don't go by the picture. I only have one cup of cheese sitting there). :)




Once all of the necessary ingredients are added to the skillet, cook it over low heat until it thickens (about ten minutes according to the recipe).

Doesn't it look sooooo good! This is when you get that amazing smell of the Mexican food we love!

Sooo Good!




Now, to actually make the enchiladas. First you need to pour some enchilada sauce into your baking dish. It doesn't need to be a lot, and you're going to put more on top of the enchiladas then, which will pour down into the pan anyway. Still, make sure it is well covered.




For tortillas I just bought really big ones(burrito size) and they actually turned out pretty well. And I might add that I still had more enchiladas than the recipe said it would make. You can use smaller ones, but I imagine the smaller they are the harder they will be to wrap up and keep together.

For filling the enchiladas, if you need a reference, the recipe says 1/2 cup of beef mixture for a 10 inch tortilla. But it really isn't too hard to figure it out yourself, especially since you may use different sized tortillas.




 Roll it up tight and carefully place in the pan with the seam down.



 
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. I was kind of running out of sauce for mine. :(  Note: Make sure you have plenty of sauce.

 And then....




Put all the rest of the cheese on top!! Oooh yummy yum! But if I were you, I wouldn't go with the recipe on this one(1 cup of cheese). Just put on all the cheese you want!! :)

Set the oven for 350 degrees, and put the enchiladas in for 8-10 minutes(or until heated through and cheese melts).

And Tada!


 
  
You can now serve your family a delicious, Mexican meal that will be sure to please! :)

I ended up with a total of fifteen enchildas(I might have used more than a pound of meat; the bag didn't say how much it weighed.) So we had some leftovers, which is totally fine with me cause these still taste awesome when reheated.

 As a little extra for you, I also cooked up some refried beans for this meal. No I didn't actually make the refried beans. But I did cook them differently.




We usually just put them in a big bowl and then add cheese later, but this time I put the beans in a baking dish, topped with lots of cheese, and baked it in the oven for a while. Maybe you all have figured this out already, but it was so much easier than heating and reheating in the microwave. Plus, I could put on a lot more cheese and actually have it melt.

So, I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as my family has, and keep coming back for more!


 

No comments :

Post a Comment